Now in its ninth year, SoundWalk, is an annual Long Beach art event produced by the artist group FLOOD. In a downtown area encompassing 4th Street and Linden Avenue, First Street and Elm Avenue, pure sonic art as well as works integrating any combination of the visual, conceptual and performative with the aural will activate, catalyze, inspire and surprise. Featured will be sculptures, environments, performances and installations. This year’s event will continue the exploration of the concept of connectivity (spatial, geographical, personal, disciplinary etc.)
This being in large part an outdoor event, procuring power is problematic. As a result, proposals for self-contained, indoor-outdoor adaptable works will receive special consideration.
it is important that artists realize that SoundWalk is a sound art event and not a music event. Work that examines the nexi and interfaces in which experimental music and sound art connect will be considered. If the work is characterized solely by elements of pitch, melody, rhythm, tempo or meter and does not explore or incorporate in some meaningful way acoustics, psychoacoustics, electronics, audio technologies, listening actions, performance actions, spatialization, conceptualization, timbralization, found sound, environmental sound, it qualifies as music rather than sound art and would be better suited for our MERGE events taking place in June and December.
Works that utilize live animals, hazardous materials or pose potential safety concerns will not be considered.
As notification of availability by individual sites or venues is in some cases not provided until days before the event, curatorial decisions regarding the placement of works will be at the discretion of FLOOD.
If you are invited to be a participant in SoundWalk2012, your name, likeness as well as work may be used for publicity purposes and materials related to this event, including, but not limited to, press releases, advertising posters, publications, recordings and SoundWalk related websites.
Application Deadline: July 1st, 2012
Notification of Acceptance: August 1st, 2012
Submissions are reviewed by an academic and artistic panel. Application Fee for up to three proposals (nonrefundable): $20.00
INFORMATION TO BE INCLUDED IN THE BODY OF THE EMAIL
- Artist or Group Name
- Contact Name
- Phone number
- Email and Postal mailing Addresses
- A clear PIC of your face (akin to a passport of driver’s license photo) for ID cards issued on the night of the event.
- A clear text description of the work(s) and an explanation of the sound performance or installation.
- Un-edited Artist Statement
- 200 word version of your artist statement for the website.
- An artist image in a square aspect ratio, no smaller than 300 x 300 pixels which will be used on the website and other collateral.
- Link to personal website.
- Up to three (3) examples of previous work (accompanied by the items listed below, taking care that the submissions are excellent as they may be used in promotional materials, catalog and audio CD)
- Sound clips which will be used in the audio catalog. Can be the sound of the piece, a reading of your artist statement, or a mix of both, not to exceed 3 minutes (.wav, mp3 or .aiff)
- Images (jpg, 300 dpi preferred)
- Accompanying text / description (Please indicate which previous works, if any, are available for this year’s event.)
- Up to two (2) proposals for new work (include as many visual aids as possible [e.g. diagrams, video, mock ups etc.])
- Describe Your Site Preferences
- Performance or installation site
- Solo or shared site
- Indoor or outdoor site
- Power requirement (SoundWalk will not furnish any equipment [e.g. power strips, generators, cables etc.], but will provide site(s) and power only where available)
- Volume level of piece (also a range as to how soft and how loud are acceptable)
- Make checks payable to: Long Beach FLOOD INC.
Mail to: 455 East Ocean Blvd. #902, Long Beach, CA 90802
Please send all submission information in digital forms and questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org or contact Marco at (562) 413 5868.